Wednesday, March 03, 2010

See Roger Ebert speak - and I defy you not to weep

Roger Ebert has certainly issued some dubious reviews during his long career (I rented "Knowing" on his advice, and man are those two hours or so I'd desperately like to have back), but you certainly can't deny he has an irresistible passion for movies.

I first fell in love with his work when I saw him on TV with the late, great Gene Siskel reviewing "Hoop Dreams." I had never heard of the movie at the time, and neither had I then or since heard someone just get so incredibly amped up about a single movie (and this time, thankfully, he was dead right.)

Recently, of course, Ebert has been suffering from cancer that has left him unable to say much of anything. Leave it to Oprah, of course, to land his return to speaking - with the help of modern technology - as he did on yesterday's show about Sunday night's Oscars.

Below is a clip of him with his wife, Chaz, unveiling his new voice tool for the first time - followed by, at least until it gets pulled down, the first portion of his Oprah appearance. And, like I said, I defy you to not get at least a little choked up when watching this, as I surely did this morning. Enjoy, and have a perfectly passable Wednesday. Peace out.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!

My name is Melissa and I am conducting a research study on behalf of the PR team for The Downbeach Film Festival. If you would be so kind to help us out, that would be awesome!

1.Have you ever attended a film festival? If so, where and what did you like about it?

2. Have you ever heard of the Down Beach Film Festival? If so, where did you hear about it?

3. What would make you attend a film festival?

4. Are there any films/directors in particular you would like to see at a film festival?

If you can email me back as soon as possible with your response, that would be great.
Thank you for your any and all help in advance!

Melissa

Nell Minow said...

The devotion of Roger and Chaz to each other and to movies is more touching and inspiring than the greatest film. I would love it if you could come to this year's Ebertfest. I'll be there!

Reel Fanatic said...

I'd certainly love to make it, Nell, because I've only been to Chicago one time and absolutely loved it ... Unfortunately, like most people in America, I effectively make less money than I used to, so I'm afraid I can only afford to attend the movie festival I get in to for free, the upcoming Atlanta Film Festival 365